Lodge of St Ilan
The Lodge of St Ilan is named after ‘Eglwysilan’, the ‘Church of St Ilan’, which stands in the small mountaintop hamlet of Eglwysilan above the Aber Valley. The Lodge crest depicts the gateway to the church and carries the motto “Cariad a Gwasanaeth”, which literally translates to “Love and Service” or, more appropriately, “Charity and Service”.
The Lodge banner was presented by W.Bro. E E Coleman and dedicated by the Provincial Grand Chaplain, V.W.Bro. The Rt. Rev. Dr. J Gwyn Davies P.G.Chaplain, Prov.G.Chaplain. The banner is displayed proudly behind the Worshipful Master’s Chair at each regular Lodge meeting and serves to remind the Brethren of the Founders’ hopes and aspirations. Sadly our last surviving Founder, W.Bro. Ernie Williams, passed to the Grand Lodge above in 1996.
Our Mother Lodge, the Henry Pendrill Charles Lodge, has met in Caerphilly since 1916. The redevelopment of the area following the 1939-45 war saw a growth in Freemasonry and the formation of the Gelligaer Lodge in Bargoed during 1946 and the Lodge of St Ilan in Caerphilly during 1948; both Daughter Lodges of Henry Pendrill Charles Lodge.
Danycoed Lodge was formed in 1966 and Princes Lodge in 1982; both Daughter Lodges of the Lodge of St Ilan.
The first Worshipful Master of the Lodge was W.Bro. George J Davies; Provincial Junior Grand Warden at the time. Hailing from the Aber Valley himself, he was no doubt extremely influential when it came to providing the Lodge with its name.
Cariad a Gwasanaeth